Topic Research: The Weapons of Indian Epics

I have chosen to do more research upon some of the weapons of the gods that are imperative to the characterization of them and how they resolve certain "conflicts." For example, one of the weapons that I find interesting is the Sudarshana Chakra used by Vishnu. The weapon itself is in the shape of "wheel" and the one belonging to Vishnu contains 108 serrated edges, which can be highly effecting in short and/or long range combat. There are even versions of it where the wheel is on fire!

One story that I can use is in The Ramayana, in the Battle of Khara, where it shows Rama obtaining the celestial weapon to defeat his opponent. The usage of obtaining the weapon in a close battle and then changing the whole balance of it can be something that I could be able to use in the story.

Another weapon that I found was the Asi, that was prevalent in the Mahabharata, where it tells that the original creation of the weapon itself by Brahma, which is interesting as this its the ultimate creation story coming for the top itself. There was also aspect where Brahma passed the sword to Shiva, which the passing down can be something that I can contain in my story as well.

To change it up, I also research the legendary weapon of Vishnu, which was the Pinaka, the original bow of destruction. The significance of this weapon in The Ramayana was that Rama destroyed the bow in order to win Sita as his wife, which is something I can include as a reward for power.

(Rama Breaking the Pinaka. Source: Wikimedia)

Comments

  1. Hi Long! I wanted to say that this seems like a really interesting Storybook idea, and I haven't read any others like it. I think focusing on the weapons instead of the people and gods who wield them is a unique angle and will make for some good stories, especially because the weapons that you've chosen are crucial in several main events/battles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to... A Chicken-Loving Master of Procrastination

Week 6 Story: The Problems of the Rabbit