Introduction to... A Chicken-Loving Master of Procrastination

Hello! My name is Long, I'm currently a junior studying Microbiology Pre-Med route, and might I say, time has been going by way too fast for me right now. I remember just yesterday that I was a freshman entering the campus in Fall 2017 without a clue as to where my classes were. But, here we are, 5 semesters later, and I guess there's nothing you can do about it but try your best to catch up! Am I right? In the past two semesters, something that I was proud about was the matter that I achieved a 4.0 GPA in both of my busiest semesters of college so far. I know I'm giving myself a pat on the back right now, but seriously at some points during those semesters, I contemplated ripping off all my hair. I can say that, for me, 2019 has been a year of work after work after work, I couldn't find any time for myself. Spring 2019 I was pledging a fraternity. In summer, I was taking biochemistry every weekday for 2 months. And Fall 2019, I busied myself with 5 science-related classes. And if you're asking right now how I survived, well, the answer is I took plenty of naps and used procrastination to my advantage.

In terms of my career goals, of course, the goal of every single pre-med student at any college is to attend medical school after their undergraduate and eventually become a doctor in any way, shape, or form. I've dedicated this whole semester to studying the MCAT and let me tell you, it's going to be a rough semester. I haven't decided what the general field I want to do, but I guess that's what medical school is for, right? Here's an interesting painting of what I would later want to become, if I lived in the late 1800's!


(The Doctor Luke Fildes. Source: Wikimedia)

Let's get more personal! I have a strange addiction to eating chicken in any way, shape, or form. My friends and parents say that it's a little unhealthy, but really, I can't help myself. On the other end of the spectrum, I dislike many foods, and most likely, they're green. This will include, but not limited to, bitter melon, beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchinis, etc. In terms of other favorites, my favorite TV shows include Game of Thrones, Peaky Blinders, Breaking Bad, and I'm currently on season 1 of Witcher right now! My taste in music expands across all spectrums, most days I listen to rap/hip-hop, but my choice in music changes with the the situation that I'm in, and that includes R&B, pop, alternative, classical, and classic oldies. Here's a photo of Frank Sinatra, one of one of my favorite artists from then.


(Frank Sinatra '57. Source: Wikimedia)

I think this will do for a short introduction of myself! In summary, I consider myself a very relaxed person, I often leave things last minute to do just as many college students, and I'm obsessed with chicken, especially fried. I think the latter should be something you should take from this short conversation with me. Even though it's going to be rough one, I hope it will be one of the best semesters yet!






Comments

  1. Hi Long!

    Your introduction is awesome! The MCAT is no joke, I studied for a couple months for at least five hours a day while taking biochem and organic chemistry two (highly do not recommend haha). I found it all very interesting and I definitely enjoyed it. There is some cool stuff you learn in the process of studying for it! I decided against the medical school route after a month of shadowing, but I definitely hope you find your passion in it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are not the only one in class who has been getting ready for that MCAT, Long! Did you take it this week? Somebody told me they took it yesterday... so, if you also took it yesterday, I hope you will get the good results you want to go to the med school of your dreams. And if you are taking it later this semester, I will wish you good luck with that. Maybe you can learn something about the god of medicine in India... there will not be questions about him on the MCAT, but it can't hurt to learn something about a god of medicine, just in case! Of course he has his own article at Wikpedia: Dhanvantari. Even more ancient are the twin gods known as the Ashwins; they also have a strong association with medicine: Ashwini Kumaras. Plus, they are the divine fathers of two of the heroes of the Mahabharata, so you'll be meeting them later in the semester, when we get around to the Mahabharata.
    About Frank Sinatra: you made me curious, and I found a video with a wedding where they start with Frank Sinatra and then go into Mudian to Bach Ke, bhangra style: that's quite a switch, ha ha! Wedding First Dance - American and Indian mash up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Long, I love your introduction! I also felt like ripping my hair out last semester but I did not have near as many things going on as you!!! I could not imagine having to take the MCAT, it is great that you are taking your time to really study. My music tastes are also all over the place and I used to tell people that green vegetables stunt your growth and is why my grandmother is so short (she's 4'9"). I have to eat them now since my doctor told me to so someday when you are a doctor you might be telling yourself to eat those green veggies. No one should be making fun of anyone for eating chicken since it's delicious cooked any way as you mentioned :) Do you have a few options picked for your general field or is it just completely open? It's nice to meet you! - Jillienne Kirkpatrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long?! So we meet again...

    I'm impressed! I guess we never got to know each other outside of VSA so I never realized how little I knew about you until now. Microbio is a tough major (and science in general), so extra props to you for that perfect GPA those past few semesters! I'm surprised you didn't mention EDM in your list of favorite music genres, but I guess I shouldn't assume too much now, haha. Good luck this semester and see you at the hospital sometime... maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Long,

    My roommate is currently in your same situation with the McAT so I have seen how hard it can be, but you'll do great just keep pushing. Also, congrats on your GPA that is awesome to hear. I love Game of Thrones as well, even though the last season was not my favorite. I loved your random fact about chicken and I am curious to what is your favorite way to eat it. Good luck in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Long! It looks like you've had a busy year! Did you take Biochem with Najar during the summer? If you did, I took him 2 summers ago and really liked the class with him. He's super nice and patient with us. I used to be Pre-Med, but realized that path wasn't for me. Kudos to you for sticking with it and good luck your MCAT studying! I also watched season 1 of the Witcher and enjoyed it too! It's a slow burn but worth it! I can't wait for the second season next year. And haha, I like your obsession with chicken. I'm assuming you were one of the first to try the Popepye's chicken sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Long!
    Congratulations on your accomplishments in school thus far and on your journey to become a medical student! I know you have what it takes! I also can not believe how fast college is flying by but I am a senior who will be graduating in may, however, I am so happy to be almost done and take a little break before I go back to school! I too suffer from a chicken addiction mostly in the form of chicken Alfredo, do not be afraid we must unite!! Lastly good luck on the MCATs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Long. Nice to meet a fellow student trying to become a doctor. It's a hard and long path and I know what you mean about work, work and more work. On a happier note, the Witcher is a great show. If you enjoy game if thrones I'm sure you'll love the Witcher. And I love chicken too, tho really it's any meat I love, and I don't like veggies at all. Hey good luck this semester with your classes and good luck with the MCAT too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Long! I also pledged a fraternity and it sure kept me busy along with school. It is super impressive that you were able to get a 4.0 as I am a senior and have come super close but was never able to finish a semester with a 4.0. All the television shows you listed are some of my favorites and The Witcher was so good I just wish there was already more than one season! Best of luck this semester and good luck with the MCAT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Long!
    As a senior who is graduating this May, I absolutely have to say that college goes by in the blink of an eye! I took Microbiology with Dr. Savage last year and absolutely loved her and loved the class as a whole. Getting a 4.0 is absolutely something to be proud of, especially at a big 12 and D1 school! Congratulations and good luck on your medical endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Long! It seems like there are a lot of future medical students in this class, but I am convinced none of them match you in terms of how much they love chicken. I hope you do well on the MCAT so you can be the best in at least two categories. Your courses these past few semesters sound difficult, so congrats on that perfect GPA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Long! I'm very impressed with your GPA--you deserve that pat on the back, especially with those rough courses! I know it can be hard to see the bigger picture at times, but I promise it's all worth it. I need you to teach me how you used procrastination to your advantage, because it has never really worked out for me! I saw you had great taste in music and shows! I love Frank Sinatra and Game of Thrones as well. It was nice to meet you Long! Best of luck as you move forward, I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Long,
    Congratulations on your GPA! That is so impressive, especially with all those science classes! I wish I could pull that off. When I read in your introduction about your love for chicken, it reminded me of the weeks my roommate and I ate chicken for lunch and dinner... we bought like 12 chicken breasts from the grocery store like every week. I hope during this time of quarantine you have been able to get as much stuff done as I know it can be hard to be motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Long.
    Congrats on a 4.0! that is a huge accomplishment that you should for sure be proud of. I can't imagine it makes it any easier to maintain that average with classes within the major of microbiology and pre-med. I definitely relate to the addiction to chicken. I am not proud to admit how many times I got to Chick-fil-a a week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Long!

    It was great getting to learn more about you. I think I met you through Audrey that one day in OKC. I have to say that getting a 4.0 for two BUSY semesters is an impressive feat! That is absolutely astounding that you dedicated so much of your time and worked endlessly. I oughta buy you lunch. Anyway, I actually love Breaking Bad. I was watching it and went up to Season 2 and then I stopped because it was stressing me out so much! I really need to finish it. I also know about Peaky Blinders because Cilian Murphy is in it and I think he’s so hot. I heard it’s really good but I haven’t been able to watch it yet. Anyways, I hope everything works out for the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Long!

    First of all, CONGRATS on your 4.0! That is so awesome! I am really impressed that you are getting ready for the MCAT, I know that it is a really tough thing to prepare for.

    I found the bit in your intro about being a picky eater very amusing! It sounds like we have about the same diet! I love chicken and hate most vegetables. I am very reluctant to try new foods as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6 Story: The Problems of the Rabbit