Week 7 Story: The Monkey and the Crocodile

Author's Note: This story is a recreation of a famous Jakata, called The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart, from Eastern Stories and Legends by M. L. Shedlock, which tells of an attempt to deceit the monkey by the crocodile to take his heart and eat it, but of course, the monkey outwits him and escapes the wrath of the crocodile. In this recreation, I told it specifically in the Monkey's point of view, including his initial thoughts as when the Crocodile offered him the proposal of better fruits on the other side of the Ganges River. To make it more relatable, I told it in a more contemporary tone with modern and simple syntax, much like two ordinary people having conversation with one another in modern times!

As many of you may, I was a Bodhisatta in a past life, and with this life, I have reincarnated in a form of a monkey. I lived my day to day life as a monkey, making the most of my day. I had the proper education and grew up big and strong, just as my father wanted me to. My dwelling resides right next to the Ganges river, and often times I would go down there and take a dip in the waters. One of the best parts about being a monkey: you never need to change out of your clothes when you go swimming. What can I say? Life is great!

One day, as I was on the way to take a quick swim in the River, when a mighty crocodile rose up from the waters. He introduced himself and asked me a question, "Why do you stay here on this side of the Ganges with all of these bad, rotten fruits, when there are much better and riper fruits on the other side of the River?"

Now hear me out, i love fruits. We're talking mangoes, coconuts, bananas, apples, you name it. This was an interesting proposal, but still, do I even know this crocodile? I intended to find out.

"Now that's an interesting question, Mr. Crocodile. But here's the thing, I might have above average swimming skills, but there is no way for me to swim across a river so wide and powerful! What ever could I do for these fruits?" I said to him.

"I can take you across the river on my back, it will be no problem at all! I like you, you seem like a good friend, and I treat my good friends well!" the crocodile replied.

It was an interesting proposal. I came down and got on the Crocodile's back and rode on it to the way of the delicious fruits!

All the sudden, the Crocodile plunged in the water, and I was completely submerged. I was in trouble.

I asked him, "Mr. Crocodile, you are letting me sink! What have I done wrong for you to have done so?"

The Crocodile replied, "Silly monkey, did you think I was doing this because I thought you were such a dear friend to me after I've just met you? Let me tell you, my wife back home has been cranky lately, and the only way to appease her was to surprise her with a monkey's heart for Valentine's Day. Listen, you're a nice guy, you really are, but I'm sorry. I must do what I need to do!"

I had to think quick. I knew there was no way for me to get those tasty mangoes and coconuts from the other side of the River now. I devised a plan to trick the Crocodile.

"Mr. Crocodile, did you really think our hearts were stored in our bodies? If that was the case, then wouldn't it just fall out when we jump from tree to tree! That's why, for safe keeping, we as monkeys keep our hearts in a safe container on top of the trees in our homes. That way they won't fly out!"

He was still for a second, but then he agreed to take me back to shore if I promised to give him my heart for his wife. Man, people these days will really believe anything you tell them! After he took me back to shore, I knew I was in the clear. I quickly scrammed to and up the tree that I lived in, and told the Crocodile, "Silly Crocodile, did you really think my heart was in a box? In a tree? Outside of my body? Listen, you really got me there with that fruit story, but you need to work on your biology skills. I have a pamphlet of the nearby school if you need it!"

Knowing that he has been counter-tricked, the crocodile had a huge frown on his face. I waved good-bye to him as he left the shore and back to the river.

The End

(The Monkey on its Tree. Source: Unsplash)

Comments

  1. Hey Long! Great story, as usual. I really liked how in depth you went with each of the characters, I was rooting for the monkey since you showed off his happy go lucky personality, but I also felt for the crocodile, who only wanted a monkey's heart to give to his wife for Valentine's Day. I hope he found something else to give her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long,

    I really enjoyed your story! However, it was hard to pick a character to root for because of the situation! Obviously, you want to root for the monkey, but at the same time, the only reason the crocodile wanted a heart was to give it to his wife, so it made it sort of difficult since he wasn't just being mean and wanted to kill the monkey. Anyways, I enjoyed your story, and you did a great job retelling it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to... A Chicken-Loving Master of Procrastination

Week 6 Story: The Problems of the Rabbit