Week 2 Reading Overview

I think I will be choosing the PDE Ramayana Online over P. K. Narayan's Ramayana for several reasons. One of which being is that the PDE version compile numerous of different authors and styles that I feel can allow for better understanding of the epic overall from multiple point of views. Second reason is that there are audio versions and also numerous illustrations. One of my favorite thing about myths and legends are the fantasy components that associate with them. Therefore, being a visual learner, I feel like I would much enjoy the epic even more. The last reason is, well, it's free on an online platform and honestly, who doesn't love free?

One of the comics that interested me was "Ancestors of Rama", due to the matter that it dealt with a divine intervention and also intersection between the Raghu and Indra, one of the more better known deities of Indian mythology. Another comic that intrigued me was "Vishvamitra", due to my fascination with the initial warfare and then also intervention between a human King and the deity Indra. It also intrigued me that there were several instances of growth and changes to the character that allowed to see progress throughout.

In addition, one of the videos that I watched that caught my eye was "Ancient Technology: Atlantis and India", where the narrator created comparisons of the mythical city of Atlantis to Ancient Indian tales. For example, one of the points that the narrator made was that Ancient Indian tales tells the usage of advanced and powerful ballistic missiles, one that surely the technologically advanced Atlantis would've had in its arsenal. Such comparison intrigued me as it allows another viewpoint into Indian myths that might've coincided with other-worldly myths as well. Another video that I enjoyed was "Food for Gods", where the video described various sources of nutrition that the gods consume. This intrigued me due to the matter that it's often an overlooked aspect of mythology. And rightly so. Gods eating? Why? Aren't they Immortal? However, there were a number of interesting beverages that was described for consumption in the many ancients stories of India. One of which being Sanjivani, where the purpose was for the gods and demons to raise their armies back from the dead for warfare; however, one can assume that it can equally be used on an individual to bring them back to life. As stated before, I'm fascinated by the concept of fantastical warfare, so notions such as these deeply interests me.


(Narada and Vishnu. Source: Illustrated Mahabharata"

The reason I thought this image was incredibly appealing was due to the interesting depiction of the deity that is present in the picture. Can you see the numerous number of heads and doubled as numerous the number of arms attached to the deity itself? This is one of the things that fascinated me the most when the notion of Indian mythology comes in mind. This isn't the first time I've seen a depiction of an Indian deity with such exaggerated number of limbs and heads. I've always questioned in my head the reasoning behind such a depiction. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to... A Chicken-Loving Master of Procrastination

Week 6 Story: The Problems of the Rabbit